Sunday, June 21, 2009

Fifa in denial

If you read between the lines, Fifa is kaking big ones. It's got worries. Pants. Ankles. Caught.

Think about it. The number of tourists that travel to events like the Confed Cup are miniscule compared to the hordes that follow their teams for the World Cup. Looking at the incidents that have happened, even with these limited numbers the promised security, eish, nope, didn't happen.

So say (all together now), we told you so! The ANC regime can't guarantee shite (except lie, cheat and steal) and no amount of fancy fleetfootedness from the ANC regime and Fifa to turn and twist the issue of security with meaningless security contracts
can hide the fact that the South African criminal is real, is here in seriously large numbers, is 'n dier van 'n ander kleur, is a hardened professional thug ready to kill that can smell a tourist before he lands in the country. Next year is bonus time for them.

To be frank no true South African really wants the WC2010 to fail but we don't want it to succeed either at the expense of locals. We're paying billions for a month long circus for the benefit of a soccer body and foreigners who get to go home to their safe abodes while we get to pay off the debt for the next three decades leaving the crime problem unresolved. We talk the WC2010 event down because we want to use the exposure it brings to pressure the mugs in power to do something about crime and if it takes the WC2010 going down the crapper then so be it.

What the ANC elite thought would propel them into the big league of major nations may actually have been the biggest political faux pas ever. Thousands of tourists, thousands of news crews, billions of eyes on this country, the most intense scrutiny for one month (remember how China felt?). Wonderful. Tens of thousands of cellphones and cameras. Tens of thousands of blogs, texting, tweets, Facebook, you name it. Instant broadcasting to the world. If nothing will get the world to wake up to the reality of Mandelatopia then nothing will. This is our opportunity. Bring on WC2010! Viva Wc2010! Viva!


Related:
Questions About Security in South Africa - New York Times
Anxious Japan demand private World Cup camp

After a pair of security issues in South Africa over the past few days, FIFA said Saturday that it trusts local authorities to keep fans safe at both the Confederations Cup and at next year's World Cup.

The hotel rooms of five Egyptian players were robbed while the team was playing Italy on Thursday at Ellis Park in Johannesburg, and four visiting rugby fans were mugged shortly after their arrival in the country's financial capital from England.

"Security is an absolute key issue and, as you know, we trust the South African authorities to secure both the Confederations Cup and the World Cup," FIFA spokesman Nicolas Maingot said.

Security, along with transportation, is one of the biggest issues facing South Africa as it prepares to host next year's World Cup, when an estimated 450,000 fans will visit the country for the monthlong soccer tournament.

"Security is a massively important issue for us, we've always stressed as much, and that continues to be the focus," said Jermaine Craig, a spokesman for the World Cup organizing committee. "For us, it's very important the event is safe and secure, and by and large it has been."

Neither Maingot nor Craig would comment on the Egyptian hotel break-in.

South Africa, which has one of the worst murder rates in the world with at least 50 people being killed a day, plans to beef up police numbers and training for the World Cup by investing in high-tech equipment and crime-busting surveillance to combat crime as well as any threats from hooligans and terrorists.

Danny Jordaan, the head of the local organizing committee, has previously said that $138 million has been committed to increase the police force in South Africa for the World Cup.

3 Opinion(s):

Vince R said...

Again, the article is reeking with tacit admissions of the appalling crime rate in SA. Why is the Govmunt only doing something about it now? What happens when the world cup is over? Are ordinary south African lives worth less than tourist lives?

Anonymous said...

This is funny as hell! The MSM is doing a great job at keeping things quiet. They should keep up the good work. WC 2010 must proceed. I just hope Mandela is still alive so he's there to answer some questions.

Even if you beat a tourist to near death (just dont kill him) the chances of you being convicted is near 0%. I dount that tourist will fly back 5 times till his case finally proceeds.

Hell I think i'll get some too.

Anonymous said...

Are the soccer teams not protected?

How did the gyppos get robbed in one of the best hotels in the country?

Service excellence Africoon style - that's how...