It seems that English South African media is not only censoring out uncomfortable news like black-on-white farm murders (obviously to limit international exposure), but also other incidents of brutal crimes when foreigners are victims. Incidents like these are only reported in Afrikaans or not at all.
from Daily Mail:
The Foreign Office today urged UK visitors to take extreme care in South Africa following the rape there of a 29-year-old British woman.
A local motorist who tried to help the woman was shot dead by the attackers before they fled on Sunday morning.
The incident was at Mpumalanga - not far from Pilgrim's Rest in KwaZulu Natal where British woman Diane Conway was shot dead last month in a robbery.
"We are repeating our warnings about vigilance in certain parts of South Africa, particularly in KwaZulu Natal where there have been incidents of hi-jacking and robbery," said a Foreign Office spokesman.
"We have not, as yet, changed our South Africa travel advice, but advice such as this is under constant review."
In the latest incident, the British woman was repeatedly raped after she and a male South African friend were hijacked by four men after the couple had stopped at a beauty spot.
The attackers forced the pair into their own vehicle, raping the woman several times over a period of 14 hours.
A passing motorist who tried to help was shot dead by the assailants who then ran off.
The South Africa friend was knifed in the leg and suffered wounds to his back.
Both victims were being treated in hospital.
"We are offering all possibly consular assistance", said the Foreign Office spokesman.