Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Purposeful Omission of a Distinct Nation.

The main reason as to why a lot of folks are not aware that the Boers are a distinct nation from the bulk of the Afrikaners is due to the fact that it was not quite taught at school as the following excerpt notes that the era preceding the British occupation of the Cape was basically omitted / not considered "important" & totally glossed over in order to present an erroneous monolithic language based group.

Quote: [ For Afrikaners the century between the British occupation of the Cape in 1806 and the execution of Jopie Fourie in December 1914 was the period of revelation. During that era, God made known His will for the Afrikaner people. Prior to that period events were unimportant except to the extent that they delineated a scant "myth of origin". ] From: the second page of The rise of Afrikanerdom: Power, Apartheid, and the Afrikaner Civil Religion. T. Dunbar Moodie.

The era preceding the British occupation of the Cape was omitted no doubt as it would have exposed the true distinct origin of the Boer people & would have shattered the "myth of origin" that the Afrikaners were expropriating for themselves. Notice that the Afrikaners expropriated a lot of Boer history of the 19th cent but deftly refrained from talking much about the era prior. Authors like P. J. van der Merwe / Roger Beck / Brian Du Toit / Sheila Patterson / Oliver Ransford & others note how the Boers were formed on the Cape frontier. The Afrikaners of the 20th cent also expropriated some of this frontier history as well [ seeing as how the mid 20th cent definition of an Afrikaner was a coalition of Cape Dutch & Boer ] but the Afrikaner establishment totally obscured the fact that this particular history had nothing to do with most of their ancestors: the Cape Dutch - a then hidden term - as it belonged to the Boer Nation.

3 Opinion(s):

Ron. said...

This was the main reason why so many tend to erroneously believe that all of the Afrikaners "are from the Boers" simply due to the deft Afrikaner appropriation of Boer history / heritage & the telling omission of the bifurcation era - circa 1700 - which led to the existence of the Trekboers on the Cape frontier at least one hundred years before the British took control.

Anonymous said...

I think there are also problems of geography...

I was born in Rhodesia and grew up not speaking Afrikaans (neither Boer nor Afrikaner variety)... My Afrikaans was mainly learned in the SADF in the 1980's so it is distinctly Afrikaner in nature.

My forebears left the Cape before 1710 and I can trace a long line of family members that were trekkers, frontiersmen, rebels etc. That makes me a Boer by BLOOD. By nature I also tend towards Boer aspirations of freedom, minimal government, freedom, self-determination and freedom... did I mention freedom?

However I have a problem at Boer gatherings as my Afrikaans is not that good and it does not fit the Boer style... so, while I think they (the Boers) entertain me as a "Grey Donkey" - an 'Englishman' who espouses Boer ideals and supports the Boer cause, they do not quite accept that my credentials as I claim them.

I always thought I came from Afrikaner stock until I started looking into my family tree... And it turned out that I descended from the Boers.

Anyway - just thought I would toss that out there. I am sure there are more people like me.

Ron. said...

There no doubt are - in fact I read how a number of orphaned Boer children were adopted by English speakers & thus Anglicized after the second Anglo-Boer War. There was also the reverse which occurred decades earlier where English speakers were absorbed or assimilated into the Boers of the Cape frontier.