I've been threatening to repost something from the Rooster for some time now here it is. And he has a point. Delivered in the usual smart guy vs. straw man kind of way, yes, but a valid one nonetheless. Does anyone really want Apartheid back?
I'm quite sure our readership have a circumspect view on the subject, and given that it's never going to happen anyway, I would hazard a guess that the nostalgia is less for a repressive political system and more for the older, safer (at least for some) society.
We all the see the past through rose-tinted glasses, but nostalgia for the past should never be confused with a yearning for its return. Having an interest in Boer or Cape independence should not be confused with wanting a return to Apartheid.
You sometimes get the idea that some white South Africans think the country would be better if we still had apartheid. Well not to get into any of the usual race crap, here are a few things that would be sifferent if Apartheid never ended.
1) We would not be allowed to use the internet perhaps for anything but a few verkrampte government sanctioned sites, if at all.
2) We would not be allowed to have new technology mobile phones. Or perhaps for security reasons even any mobile phones.
3) No DSTV , or perhas even MNET.
4) Which wouldn't make much of a difference because we wouldn't be allowed to watch anything rated more than "A" or with slight political udnertones and there'd be no international sport for us anyway.
5) No travel abroad.
6) And for all the above reason we'd fall extremely behind in out competitiveness as a nation.
7 ) Little to no foriegn investment, or tourists adding to the collpaose of our economy.
I could honestly go on forever, but you don't need to really go any further to get the picture.
The end result of not ending apartheid when you basically think of it is this.
So next time you're feeling a little nostalgic for apartheid and bitching about the country on the internet. Stop to think about the irony for a second.
If you're living abroad and life is so wonderful. Why feel nostalgia for Apartheid ? And what's more, why hate the black people whose government made it possible for you to leave the country ? Could it be you're far more miserable than you might admit ?