Friday, April 02, 2010

Death of Johannesburg

I did this vid with images from Death of Johannesburg.

It was a very personal and important experience for me to go over these images, as I worked in the centre of Joey's for five years, and I actually saw many of these buildings, houses and street scenes with my own eyes. That was more than four years ago. I wonder how bad it is now?


10 Opinion(s):

Islandshark said...

Also used to work in Johannesburg CBD - I actually don't even want to look at it, because it sickens me.

But good vid, Exz.

Lime Lite said...

You can look all over the world - wherever there is a black town take-over it will resemble what is shown in the video. Even in the USA - the towns become slums once the whites leave (think of Detroit - where once the blacks displaced the whites, and the muslims are now invading). I challenge anyone to prove me wrong.

FishEagle said...

A picture is worth a thousand words...

Exzanian said...

IS, you know, when I worked there I did my bit to try embrace the rainbow nation. Unlike the other whites who stayed inside the airconditioned and secure buildings, I went out at lunchtimes to mingle. I took my tie off and only carried small change, to buy some peanuts from the magog, or a cooldrink. I even ate at the chicken licken in Pritchard street LOL! Let me tell you, the environment is inpenetrable, it's totally third world. I was completely alienated. I was never mugged or assaulted, because I made sure I never had any valuables on me (especially never a mobile phone) But there was always a low level buzz of fear and it felt much better getting back into the building! And boy oh boy, does it STINK in some parts pheeeew!

VI said...

I spent quite a bit of my time in Hillbrow and surrounds, in the 1970's. I even went to Roseneath Primary for about 6 months or so. Joubert Park was a wonderful place, especially at Christmas. They used to have a whole lot of light displays, and you could walk through the park, watch the men playing chess with over-sized pieces, and buy your candy floss from the candy man. I also remember the Trolley Buses and the large department stores, like John Orrs and Greatermans. There used to be a lift operator in those days, and it was always a treat to go shopping back then.

A few years later I went to Wits University, and although the campus was politically charged, the surrounding area was clean and fun. I remember Bella Napoli night club, and also Fontana Chicken in Hillbrow. What good times. Hillbrow was great back then. You used to go to the bioscope on Saturday mornings, and play in the city parks. There never seemed to be any tension back then, other than an oil crisis. I also remember the battery operated milk trolleys, which delivered milk and orange juice. Sometimes the tin foil lids would be a different colour, and sometimes we would steal a bottle of juice. Back in those days you could still take a ride to the top of Hillbrow tower.

I can't believe it is the same country, or that the blacks think that they have built a better future for themselves. What a mess.

Anonymous said...

Thanks FW de Klerk.These photos shine as much as your Nobel Peace prize.

Exzanian said...

VI, giving your age away :0
Seriously, in the eighties we used to catch the train in from the East Rand on Saturday nights and go crawling or raving (Thunderdome mostly) and caught the train back home in the wee hours of the morning. No hassles. That very same "Mama's Tratoria" in Yeoville was a great joint, best pizza I ever had and one of the first places I took my girl friend (now my wife) to eat at, and that was in '91 or '92 (but by then there was shadow falling over the place and the writing was on the wall. Nobody will ever understand what we lost...

Exzanian said...

Looks like this one might go viral, already 529 views on youtube in just a couple of days. Anyone blogging, please post it! The message needs to go out...

VI said...

@ExZ. I've updated Twitter, Facebook and our Video Collection page. It's well worth spreading around.

Anonymous said...

This is worse than what i saw in Zim recently. I thought they were at rock bottom but this takes the cake.We seem to more barbaric then they are. We must be world leaders in how to destroy perfectly built infrastructure. Who are these people?