Friday, December 04, 2009

I Am About To Change My Religion


This has been a tumultuous week, which has been cause for some reflection.

What is it that makes bloggers blog? Let's be honest, we aren't warriors fighting some battle. That is just rhetoric to give meaning to our efforts.

What makes us sacrifice our time, a finite resource, for seemingly nothing? We don't make money from our endeavours and nobody really gives a shit.

What we do is futile; I seriously doubt whether any armchair South Africans have actually done anything to change their situations as a result of any blogging efforts.

I didn't overtly put it to a fellow blogger, Lara Braveheart, like that, but she suggested that I join the Futilitarian Church.

To quote Brad Blanton, and to lend from our dialogue:

"What gives futilitarians so much energy is we don't need a particular result in order to be happy. We are happy for no reason at all. We know there is no reason to be happy."

In other words, we blog for no reason at all. There is no real grand plan, we simply do it because we want to. And when we have had enough, we pack it in, because that is what makes us happy. Sounds faintly hedonistic.

"Celebrate the futility of all your efforts. Get in touch with the meaninglessness of life. Laugh at the futility of creating meanings in life. Look at what a fool you are. Look at what fools we all are. Become a village idiot. Talk with your compatriots about the futility of human life."

In the cosmic scheme of things, what we do is utterly futile. And that is my point. I don't do this because I think I am making a difference. I do it because I get some kind of satisfaction out of it, for now. When I too have had enough, I will pack it in, as I am beyond getting hung up on South Africa. It is futile being concerned about people that couldn't be bothered to worry about themselves.

Until that moment arrives, it is business as usual and we will continue to draw your attention to the rotten stench, called South Africa.

4 Opinion(s):

Exzanian said...

Beautiful words VI. I am a member of that Church too. A futilitarian...

FishEagle said...

Haha, no way VI. I don't belong to that church.

So we blog because it makes us happy. We get understanding about how we need to fit into our society. Without that understanding we feel like we have no place and that brings unhappiness. I have found an enormous amount of happiness from this blog and therefor there is nothing futile about blogging for me, on this site.

Viking said...

The love of writing is a powerful motivator ....
and Life is certainly not futile :)

Andrea Muhrrteyn said...

Great post VI, and awesome pic! ;-)