Tuesday, October 06, 2009

And the winner of the worst food marketing idea is....




I've been missing my "boerie" rolls but not any more!!!!!! Give me good old English pork bangers please...

Doberman says: Sorry to butt in on your post old chap, but I'll see your English pork bangers and raise you this .... Definitely the winner of the best marketing idea ;)

17 Opinion(s):

h said...

That is terrible... looks like a condom full of...

WTF. Who comes up with this shit? SA keeps getting better and better. They took the classic SA BOERewors (note the BOER in there) and fucked it up. I am ashamed. They can no longer call that BOEREanything. I may be wrong, but i can bet that a white person was behind this one. Possible a white liberal that thought they could make money from the stupid blacks by selling this abomination. Shame on them, assholes!

Vanilla Ice said...

Miscegenated boerewors.

Vanilla Ice said...

Wow, the picture is fresh. I notice that this combo sells at R49.95 per kg. Shit but prices have gone up. I make my own boerewors, with top grade Albertan Beef, and it costs me R35.00 per kg; because we pay around R140.00 per kg for wors. I remember SA wors costing about R18.00 per kg. Inflation must be hurting.

I should post an article on how to make the best boerewors. It is easy; your friends will love it; you get to braai every other day; your mates supply the booze; you can sell the surplus in your sleep and actually it is quite a lot of fun.

AMB said...

Hi VI - Please post the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Food for the proletariat masses.

Vanilla Ice said...

@AMB. I will do, promise. I just want to add a series of pics to show you how to make it. I have scoured the internet, and there is some stuff, but nothing covering some key areas.

Doberman said...

Yeah VI, slip us the recipe, it's hard to find good boerewors in Brisbane although a German butcher I buy from comes pretty close. And does anyone have suggestions on biltong? I have a biltong maker, just need the recipe. I've had so many blokes tell me different stories and the biltong is never quite right.

Anonymous said...

@ Dobe... The only way I know how to make good biltong is to use Crown National Biltong Spice.

My Gandmother used to make up her own spices and that biltong and wors was excellent. I'll ask around the family and see if any-one remembers it. It was basically crushed coriander, crushed peppercorns (just a bit) and coarse salt... I'll check though.

If you can get Crown over there then get some.

@ VI... I buy half a cow from a farmer friend of mine at the same rate he supplies it to PnP. Currently i eat wors at 28 RpKg and fillet steak at about 35 RpKg. All you need is a BIG freezer. I make biltong and droe wors at about 85 RpKg. Get in touch with some local farmers and see if you can do a deal. it is MUCH cheaper than keeping the Ackermans in cash.

Its not inflation - it is GREED, pure and simple. The farmer in SA is getting about a quarter of the sales price and he is only making 5 to 8 percent. Big feedlots like Karan Beef at Heidelburg are only making a top margin of 3% because of overheads. The retailers and packagers are coining it. The picture is much the same for maize. The farmer made a lot more when the prices were controlled (maize board etc.) and the retailers had to be more careful about their wastage.

Useless gubbermunt thinks it is clever but it is simply only clehvah!!!

Islandshark said...

Dobes, I'll send you some recipes. Really want to see VI's recipe too (he has already mentioned the key ingredient).

We make our own boerewors here on the island and have done droewors and biltong too.

The secret in both is using good quality meat - some butchers think you can use all the off-cuts because you are mincing the stuff anyway - so wrong.

Exzanian said...

LOL! Dobes, for the biltong recipe, you must roast the coriander seeds and then crush them in a P&M (also marinade the meat first in brown vinegar and brown sugar)

Doberman said...

@ ExZ, I have used the brown sugar and vinegar but I've had blokes tell me to add oil and Worcester Sauce at the same time and the combo dries the meat up hard and doesn't taste good, edible but not genuine. The genuine spices I can get here but I want just to make biltong that is simple, soft in the middle, a strip of fat along the edge, oily to the touch.

Anonymous said...

A porridge + meat combo...?

What is haggis?

George said...

Recipe for Haggis

1 sheep's stomach bag plus the pluck (lights, liver and heart)
1 lb Lean mutton
6 oz Fine oatmeal
8 oz Shredded suet
2 large Onions, chopped
Salt and pepper about 1/4 pint beef stock. Soak the stomach bag in salted water overnight. Place the pluck (lights, liver and heart) in a saucepan with the windpipe hanging over the edge. Cover with water and boil for 1 1/2 hours. Impurities will pass out through the windpipe and it is advisable to place a basin under it to catch any drips. Drain well and cool. Remove the windpipe and any gristle or skin. Mince the liver and heart with the mutton. (Add some of the lights before mincing if you wish.) Toast the oatmeal gently until pale golden brown and crisp. Combine with minced mixture, suet and onion. Season well and add sufficient stock to moisten well. Pack into the stomach bag, filling it just over half-full as the stuffing will swell during cooking. Sew up the bag tightly or secure each end with string. Put an upturned plate in the base of a saucepan of boiling water, stand the haggis on this and bring back to the boil. Prick the haggis all over with a large needle to avoid bursting and boil steadily for 3 to 4 hours. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Anonymous said...

@ Dobes...

If you can get the spices then all you need to do is soak the meat in:
NB!!! - brown vinegar (NO SUGAR ADDED)
for about ten minutes or so. Some people do it over night, then spice and hang immediately. I soak, spice and then let it stand, gives the coriander more time to work it's magic. (ExZ - I'm gonna try your roasting tip).
You can add about 10% Worcestershire Sauce to the vinegar if you want. I don't. You can also add a little coarse salt to the mix if you want your billies a little more salty. I use the spices straight up, with no sugar, oil or whatever added. The Worcestershire sauce I only add to game.
Layer a tub with your spices (thin sprinkling), and then layer the still dripping with vinegar meat on top. Add twice as much spice to the top of that and layer again. Press the meat down firmly after adding the second and subsequent layers - you want the spice to stick. Repeat until all the meat is used. Layer the top with a light sprinkling of spice again and press into the meat. Close the tub with the lid or a cloth and let it stand for 24 hours or more depending on how soft you want the meat. I let mine stand for 24 and it is GOOD. Hang and enjoy when it gets to your required level if dryness.
Beef = slightly pink in the middle.
Game = ebony all the way through.

Doberman said...

@ anon 5:38, thank you very kindly. I will follow your suggestions. I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Vanilla Ice said...

@Anon 5:38. Thanks for the recipe. Now you okes are starting to make a contribution.

Dobes, I await the feedback on the recipe urgently. What spices are you using? Prepacked from Crown National or your own mix?

Dobes, when you report back, please provide info on your drying box. Did you make your own, with lamp and fan, or did you buy one?

Doberman said...

VI, I bought a drying box from SA. It can do 5kgs at a time. it has the light, fan, hooks, etc. The spices I get from Springbok Foods which is a store chain established in Aus. My question also is what makes the best cut of meat (beef)?