Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Mugabe preparing for war on his people

Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe was mobilising his well-organised paramilitary terror apparatus in the countryside and stockpiling arms and ammunition, the Democratic Alliance warned last Thursday.

Briefing the media at Parliament following a fact-finding visit to Zimbabwe last week, DA Representative on the SADC Parliamentary forum Wilmot James and Shadow Minister of International Relations and Cooperation Kenneth Mubu said credible sources within the country had reported that Mugabe was talking to Venezuela, Cuba and North Korea to fund a war chest in preparation for the upcoming referendum and elections.

"I think there is no doubt Mugabe is preparing for war. We spoke to very reliable sources," Mubu said. These included the Human Rights NGO Forum, comprising 16 local NGOs; as well as Justice for Agriculture, the Legal Resources Foundation and the Research and Advocacy Unit.

Mubu added that they had also spoken to Zimbabwe's Regional Integration and International Co-operation Minister, Priscilla Misihairabwi-Mushonga, and Foreign Affairs Deputy Minister, Moses Ndlovu.

"These people are on the ground, they are in touch with the communities, in rural areas particularly, and we have no doubt what they tell us is true," he said.

Citing a Belgian research group, International Peace Information Service, James said some arms shipments had already arrived in Zimbabwe.

"On 21 August 2008, the first of many arms shipments, containing 32 tons of 7.62mmx54 cartridges, was flown from the Democratic Republic of Congo to Harare.

He added that, on August 30, a second shipment of 20 tons of 7.62mmx39 cartridges used in AK-47s had arrived via Angola, and had also included mortar bombs and rockets.

"We regret to report that our country South Africa is planning to export 7.62 and 9 mm ammunition to Zimbabwe,” said James. “Our colleague David Maynier MP recently revealed – on 2 August 2009 – that Parliament’s National Conventional Arms Control Committee is considering authorising more than a million rounds of both types of bullets for export there. There is no question that the bullets will be used against civilians.”

James and Mubu called on President Jacob Zuma to impose an arms embargo on Zimbabwe.

Further, Zuma – in his capacity as Southern African Development Community (SADC) chairman – should actively restrain Mugabe's regime from pursuing another round of pacification by terror.

To Read the full report on the fact finding mission, please click here >>

From DA@work, official newsletter of the Democratic Alliance

4 Opinion(s):

Dachshund said...

FW de Klerk should have taken a leaf from Mugabe's book. You start with a government of national unity and the next thing you're out on your ear. Stuff that.

Exzanian said...

The war preparations are Bob's insurance policy. I reckon Zuma is going to rush a 100% indemnity deal through for our Dear Uncle and his cronies quicker than you can say "Twenty thousand dead Matabele"

FMCLAW777 said...

Funny how they mention ammunition from Angola and arm being stockpiled in Zimbabwe, which is next to South Africa. Maybe this is not a war against his own people, but a much larger plan together with the help of a ZULU Leader (Zuma) to do the unthinkable in South Africa. Maybe they anticipate the death of Mandela, or a plot to have him removed via unnatural causes!! Remember the talks of "UHURU - night of the knives", maybe they are organizing and mobilizing troops for the mass murder of WHITES in AFRICA, and not only South Africa.

Doberman said...

A civil war seems the most likely outcome for Zimbabwe, sad to say. and the ANC regime is complicit by selling arms and ammunition and failing to call Mad Bob to account. That's all we needed, another civil war on our border.