Saturday, August 22, 2009

Cape Town as it used to be

I noticed on a previous post that some of you were getting nostalgic about Cape Town as it used to be 15 years ago. Here are some pictures of Cape town from WAY back and the way I remember it and wished that it could still be, enjoy.

This is the harbour as I remember it when we arrived in South Africa in 1956.


People having a nice and safe stroll in Sea Point.

The City Centre in the middle of the day, notice anything missing? Taxis!

I don't know how old this picture is.

The N1 somewhere near Bellville, again no taxis.

Cape Town International Airport, notice the US Airforce Plane.

A picture of Hout Bay

Some folk enjoying the Cricket at Newlands with the Brewery at the back.

A "busy day" in the centre in the City centre, just some white folk going about their every day business.

Cape Town station what is missing? Oh yes, no blacks and the place is clean.

8 Opinion(s):

FishEagle said...

The photographs are great! Painful to see how things have changed.

Viking said...

wow, Cape Town station looks nothing like that now! There's hardly room to walk around, and there's beggars and thieves everywhere!

SA Greek said...

Beautiful pictures of a more civilized era....

Exzanian said...

It's all just "pockets" of dwindling wealth in Azania. The rich will be OK, so will the politicians. The poor will be poorer, and the middle class will be back broken.

Exzanian said...

PS: Pensioner
I could not help noticing that you made a very pertinent point about the brewery in the background!
Good man!

Doberman said...

Nice post P.

Pensioner said...

Exz @4:19 Got to advertise the Company I worked for, for more than 23 years.

AMB said...

Wow - brings back memories. I left CT about 18months back and I left with a heavy heart. It was not the city I grew up in anymore. Filthy, unsafe and overun by vermin. You couldn't go for a walk anywhere without fearing for your life. I hate that I had to leave but Melbourne is my new city and onwards I must go.