Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Evolutionary Biologists Say Alcohol Consumption Makes You Smarter


A few of my fellow bloggers and I have been debating IQ and its implications. Whilst I was pondering a few things I came across this article, which may be a cure for idiots.

"Well you see, Sipho, it's like this ... A herd of impala can only move as fast as the slowest impala. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first.

This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Sipho, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

Hat Tip: Ranger Tom

8 Opinion(s):

Ranger Tom said...

I'm a fricking genius!

Doberman said...

Ditto RT, I knew my imbibing of the golden nectar was good for me! You may also recall the study done by Spanish scientists that found drinking beer after a workout was better at rehydrating athletes than water. Beer 2: Water: 0

Not too mention the added benefit of beer goggles.. There's just so much right about BEER.

Ranger Tom said...

Agreed Doberman!

Anonymous said...

Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy.

Doberman said...

@ anon 5:54, heh heh and so say all of us.

Pensioner said...

You know I worked for the "largest Brewers" of good beers for over 23 years and this is the first time I understand why I am so damn smart. I must just figure out a way to get out of this country before I die. Good one VI

Doberman said...

@ Pensioner, now I am jealous ;) Btw, is it true that SAB would give out free beer to its workers to stop pilfering?

Pensioner said...

Yes it is and I still get my allocation every month, which is a pity as my diabetes prevents me from enjoying them, but I have lots of friends (wonder why)