Nine die in axe killing spree
FEAR has gripped a Transkei village where at least nine women and girls have been axed to death in a killing spree that has forced people to abandon their homes and flee from the area.
All the murders in R1 village, just outside the Kei Cuttings, have taken place in the last three months and the similarities of the cases have prompted talk that it is the work of a serial killer.
Among the victims were a child and a teenager.
Police have since formed a task team to investigate the murders. Butterworth police spokesperson Captain Jackson Manatha said the fact that the killings – with an axe or a blunt object – were continuing was a concern to the police.
The murders started in December last year when Nolundi Monakali was raped and killed. Shocked villagers said “it was the first of its kind”.
Then, on December 28, Sibongile Ngambi died in a similar attack. On January 21, 47-year-old Nokhwezi Nogaya and her six- year-old daughter Sesethu were raped and hacked to death, and her only son, Anele, 14, was severely injured.
A week later, the decomposed bodies of Nobandla, Zintle and Lazola Mafika were found in their home.
Then on Sunday, Ntombomzi Gubevu, 70, and her 13-year-old granddaughter Nonelelwa were raped and murdered.
In each case the victims suffered two wounds – a gash to the head and a severed artery in the neck. All the attacks occurred inside the victims’ homesteads.
Most villagers are now seeking safety in numbers, sleeping in groups at night under trees or in their cattle kraals. Others have left their homes and sought shelter in nearby villages. Fundiswa Gubevu, daughter and mother of the two most recent victims, said:
“We have just given up. We are living in fear … These thugs are not taking anything – they leave valuable items and just kill. Blood is splashed all over the place. What I know is that God will punish them but I need them to be found before another family is wiped out.” Fundiswa’s daughter Yonela said they suspected a serial killer was prowling around their village.
“Someone is spying on this village, knowing that the police station is 30km away,” she said. Village headman Mthetheleli Mntwini said men were also scared: “We seek shelter with our wives and children anywhere.
We are living in terrible fear, and so wish that the night doesn’t come. It is scary.” Villager Luvuno Monakali, whose stepmother was among those murdered, took special leave from his job in Cape Town to rush home.
“My wife and kids have deserted our house; they are scared. I had to take leave … until these thugs are behind bars. The question we all ask is: Who is going to be next?”
At a community meeting this week, villagers decided to record the details of every person and vehicle entering the village.
And today, village women and their children plan to march to the Butterworth police station to demand action. Manatha said a man was detained in January for questioning after the Nogaya killings.
And once again, no BBC, CNN, SKY or any bleeding heart Bonos.
Let's just sweep this under the carpet so that we don't upset the GREG types , and pretend this rainbow nation is Utopia.
Viva Mandela.... Viva
Thursday, February 26, 2009
Nine die in axe killing spree