Okay, so this is an edited version of an earlier posting. It was prompted by the posting on SA's slide in the Corruption Index, and serves as additional evidence of the erosion of intellectual capital.
What influence does IQ and/or Corruption have on Life Expectancy? To determine this, for the polymath types, I used the Corruption Index together with average IQs, listed by country and Life Expectancy figures from the CIA factbooks. I then used a multivariate regression analysis to analyse the results. The results are extraordinary. When you look at the influence that Corruption has on Life Expectancy, you find a WEAK, but positive relationship (58%), where 34 percent of the variation in Life Expectancy can be explained by Corruption. Intuitively, because there is a positive relationship this means that Life Expectancies increase as Corruption decreases, albeit slightly. When you look at the influence that IQ has on Life Expectancy, you find a STRONG POSITIVE relationship (79%), where 62 percent of the variation of Life Expectancy can be explained by IQ. This only leaves 38 percent unexplained, so we can see what the main cause of low life expectancy is.
Now when we combine both IQ and Corruption we get an even clearer picture. Here you find a STRONG POSITIVE relationship as well (80%), where 64 percent of the variation of Life Expectancy can be explained by the COMBINATION of Corruption and IQ. In other words countries that are stupid and corrupt have a lower life expectancy, and vice versa.