Car-hijackers in South Africa are nothing if not enterprising.
We’ve got the..
- straight-forward gun in the face get out of the car method.
- shoot the victim so the cops are delayed attending to the victim first.
- kidnap the victim (maybe rape if female) and /or kill away from the scene so alarm cannot be raised.
- hijack two cars simultaneously, shoot one victim, so cops’ attention is diverted and in worse case, one car is taken.
- steal a car and leave in parking lots or hospital lots or airports for week/s to see if they have tracking systems fitted.
- put the victim in the car boot, leave car in parking lot or deserted area (victim can’t call for help) and collect car when the coast is clear (victim is usually dead by then).
- bump the car in front lightly so that the victim gets out of the car and is confronted with a gun to the face with keys in the ignition.
- two cars block car and force off road.
- wait while you wait for the driveway gate to open/close method.
- wait for you when you get into your car at home method.
- plus many others.
You walk across the parking lot, unlock your car and get inside. You start the engine and shift into reverse.
When you look into the rearview mirror to back out of your parking space, you notice a piece of paper stuck to the middle of the rear window.
So, you shift into neutral, unlock your doors, and jump out of your car to remove that paper (or whatever it is) that is obstructing your view.
When you reach the back of your car, that is when the car-jackers appear out of nowhere, jump into your car and take off.
And guess what is worse, people? I bet your wallets/ purses are still in the car? So now the car-jacker has your car, your home address, your money, and your keys. Your home and your whole identity are now compromised.
Be aware of this new method of hijacking cars. If you see a piece of paper stuck to your back window, just drive away!
Remove the paper later. And be thankful that you read this. PASS IT ON.