Monday, June 23, 2008

F**k you Mbeki!

MDC throws in the towel.

Well, that’s it then. Mad Bob and Mbeki win out in the end. It was expected.

The MDC won the elections fair and square and this ‘run-off’ was just so Mad Bob could rig the thing. He has succeeded.

Zimbabwe descends further into the abyss and total failed statehood and South Africa’s image is f**ked along with it.

Brilliant Mbeki and co., just brilliant!

You’ve shown the world your true colours. Once a terrorist, always a terrorist.


And my readers may need to stop reading here because I will be using an expletive in something that needs to be said to my ‘president’ – FUCK YOU MBEKI!!


- - - - -


A high-level South African government team led by minister Sydney Mufamadi returned to South Africa from Harare on Sunday night still hopeful that the Zimbabwean crisis could be resolved this week.


The crisis deepened on Sunday when Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) leader Morgan Tsvangirai withdrew from this week's presidential poll.


The team is expected to report to President Thabo Mbeki on Monday on progress in ongoing negotiations with the MDC and Zanu-PF on the formation of a Government of National Unity (GNU).

They are still hopeful that there will be a breakthrough in negotiations which could lead to the formation of a GNU.


After pulling out of the elections, Tsvangirai said he will not participate in a "violent, illegitimate sham".


Tsvangirai told a Press conference that the MDC could not ask supporters to cast their votes on June 27 when doing so would cost them their lives. Last week Mugabe declared he would wage war if Tsvangirai won the run-off.


The announcement came after armed Zanu-PF militia members occupied the showgrounds venue of Tsvangirai's scheduled rally and assaulted opposition supporters and journalists.
The incident was preceded by many others in which opposition rallies were banned, MDC officials arrested and ordinary supporters brutalised.

At least 80 MDC supporters have been murdered and more than 30 000 injured or displaced from their homes, according to independent observers.


"We will no longer participate in this violent, illegitimate sham of an election process," Tsvangirai said after a meeting of his national executive committee in Harare.
Justice minister Patrick Chinamasa said the election would go ahead, unless the MDC filed a formal withdrawal at the Zimbabwe Electoral Commission. Information Minister Sikhanyiso Ndlovu said the constitution mandated that the election be held. But he disagreed with Chinamasa on a formal withdrawal, saying it was too late for one.

Constitutional experts - who declined to be named - were at odds over the legal procedures, saying a second round was a new phenomenon in Zimbabwe's legal history.

"What happened today was a political decision, there are no technical issues here. Mugabe could go on and hold the election on Friday and then if the MDC supporters are informed in time, and are loyal, they will boycott the election," said one.

Alternatively Mugabe could as soon as Monday declare himself the victor.
"Mugabe could instead just instruct the Chief Election Officer at the Zimbabwe Election Commission to declare him the victor, then he will be sworn into office within 48 hours of that announcement by the Chief Justice," said another.

Should the run-off take place, Mugabe might be faced with the humiliation of a very low voter turnout. On the other hand, it would be easy for government officials to falsify the results. Analysts claim he has already gathered up to 130 000 special votes from the armed forces, by forcing them and their families to vote in front of their commanding officers on Friday a week ago.

In the first round, almost 9 000 domestic observers at 9 100 polling stations were able to tally votes as soon as they were posted outside, as was required by law. But after March 29, they had become the chief targets of Mugabe's violent crackdown and most are in hiding. Mugabe might feel assured enough to try to repeat the 1996 outcome.

Then opposition leaders Ndabaningi Sithole and Bishop Abel Muzorewa pulled out on the eve of the presidential elections, in protest at what they called a "bogus election".
Mugabe went on national television to announce that the election should proceed. Mugabe was declared winner and the number of votes cast for Sithole and Muzorewa - despite their withdrawal - were also announced.

Meanwhile, Zambian President Levy Mwanawasa, current chairman of the 14-nation Southern African Development Community, on Sunday criticised Mbeki's mediation efforts in Zimbabwe's crisis, saying he had not briefed him on his meeting last week with Mugabe.


"I feel disappointed that as the chairman I'm being denied information," said Mwanawasa.
"I have to rely on my own intelligence reports gathered on Zimbabwe,"

Mwanawasa told reporters.
Mwanawasa said it was "scandalous for SADC to remain silent on Zimbabwe".

"Free campaigns have not been allowed, and the opposition have been denied access to the media. These are all in contravention of the SADC principles."

0 Opinion(s):