This house-cleaning exercise by the locals is a reminder to the useless arrogant ANC gubbermunt that it is the people that control the country - and it is the people that will fix what is wrong if gubbermunt will not.
The locals want the foreigners out, fullstop.
This is just a small taste of what's to follow. Last year saw 10 000 riots/ disturbances over grievances with local and national governance.
Gubbermunt must listen and start governing for the people and not themselves.
- - - - -
Johannesburg townships Alexandra and Diepsloot were tense on Thursday morning in the wake of suspected xenophobic attacks that have killed at least two people since the weekend, police said.
Captain Louise Reed said one man was injured in a suspected mob attack in Diepsloot on Wednesday evening. "The situation in Diepsloot is tense. In what we suspect was xenophobic attacks, a mob threw stones at the police and looted spaza shops," Reed said.
She could not confirm an SABC report that two people were killed in Diepsloot or that the violence started when foreigners fleeing Alexandra township arrived in taxis in Diepsloot.
Diepsloot residents blocked the entrance into the township outside Krugersdorp on the West Rand on Wednesday, burning tyres and placing objects in the road.
A heavy police presence is monitoring the situation. Chris Vondo, secretary of the ANC at Zone 14 in Diepsloot said the situation on Thursday morning was cause for concern. "People are drunk and they are regrouping now, they are closing the streets and looting spaza shops.
This is no longer xenophobia, these are criminal elements," said Vondo. He said he knew of at least two injuries as a result of mob violence during the night.
The local ANC leadership will meet with the station commander on Thursday to discuss the situation, he added. Police director Govindsamy Mariemuthoo said Alexandra township was calm on Wednesday night.
The last incident happened at 8pm when shots were fired at the police and the police dispersed a crowd with rubber bullets. Mariemuthoo said according to the information he received, two people were killed in Alexandra on Sunday evening and dozens were injured.
However, police spokesperson Constable Neria Malefetse on Tuesday said that another man was shot dead in more violence on Monday evening, which would take the death toll to three. Mariemuthoo said official police documents showed only two deaths since the suspected xenophobic attacks started on Sunday but the figure might be revised later.
The police have arrested more than 50 people for various crimes, including rape, murder and robbery.